top of page

General FAQ's

Q1: What are the basic requirements to study in Canada?

A1: To study in Canada, you generally need:

  • A letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution.

  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation.

  • A clean criminal record (Police Clearance Certificate may be required).

  • A medical exam (if needed).

  • Proof of English or French language proficiency.

  • A valid passport or travel document.

Q2: How much does it cost to study in Canada?

A2: Tuition fees vary by institution and program but generally range from CAD 15,000 to CAD 30,000 per year. Living expenses average around CAD 10,000 to CAD 15,000 per year. The minimum requirement for the Cost of Living for 1applicant to study is at least $20,000

Q3: What is the process to apply for a study permit in Canada?

A3: The general steps are:

  • Obtain a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

  • Gather necessary documents (proof of funds, passport, letter of acceptance, etc.).

  • Apply online or on paper via Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and pay the application fee.

  • Schedule upfront Medical and attend a biometrics appointment 

  • Wait for a decision and prepare for travel to Canada.

Work FAQs

Q4: Can international students work while studying in Canada?

A4: Yes, international students with a valid study permit can work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks without needing a separate work permit.

Q5: What is the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program?

A5: The PGWP allows graduates of eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) to work in Canada for up to three years after completing their studies, depending on the length of their program.

Q6: What are the requirements for obtaining a work permit in Canada?

A6: Requirements vary depending on the type of work permit. Common requirements include:

  • A job offer from a Canadian employer.

  • A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (if required).

  • Proof of required skills and qualifications.

  • A valid passport or travel document.

  • Application forms and fees.

Immigration FAQs

Q7: How can I become a permanent resident of Canada?

A7: There are several pathways to permanent residency, including:

  • Express Entry (Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, Canadian Experience Class).

  • Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).

  • Family Sponsorship.

  • Start-Up Visa Program.

  • Quebec-selected Skilled Workers.

Q8: What is the Express Entry system?

A8: Express Entry is an online system used by the Canadian government to manage applications for permanent residence under certain economic immigration programs. Candidates create a profile, and those with the highest scores in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) are invited to apply for permanent residence.

Q9: What are the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)?

A9: PNPs are immigration programs operated by Canadian provinces and territories. Each PNP has its criteria and allows provinces to nominate individuals who wish to immigrate and settle in a particular province.

Q10: How long does the immigration process take?

A10: Processing times vary depending on the program and the applicant’s specific situation. For example, Express Entry applications typically take around six months from the date of submission, while PNP processing times can vary significantly.

Specialized FAQs

Q11: What is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

A11: A DLI is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. You need an acceptance letter from a DLI to apply for a study permit.

Q12: Can my family accompany me while I study in Canada?

A12:  Spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit if the student is taking Masters program (  your dependent children can accompany you and may be able to study at Canadian schools.

Q13: How do I prove my English or French language proficiency?

A13: You need to take an approved language test (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL for English or TEF for French) and achieve the required scores that meet your institution’s or visa application’s requirements. Some schools waived the English Requirement for Filipino Students.

Q14: What are the health insurance requirements for international students?

A14: Health insurance requirements vary by province. Some provinces provide health coverage to international students, while others require students to purchase private health insurance.

Q15: How do I check the status of my application?

A15: You can check the status of your application online through your IRCC account or using the IRCC's "Check your application status" tool on their website.

bottom of page